Thursday, December 31, 2009

Rockin' with the Bossy Frog Band 12/30 Nyack theater

Ooh, was that fun. I have wanted to jam with the Bossy Frog Band for a few years, ever since Lily and I started being 'groupies' 2 or 3 years ago. I introduced the band with a little Big Bertha 'warm up' about listening, dancing and sitting as audience members, and then told a story in the middle (Baby wanted to 'accomplish' some things before the year ended-like climbing a mountain, riding on a giant fish's back, and putting her head into the mouth of a tiger) after a quiet song.
I introduced Big Bertha, a larger puppet than I usually use. I am in love with her-she's so squishy and bouncy. She definitely reminds me of my late Bubbe Lena. Big Bertha is a good dancer too! She has been riding around with me in the passenger seat of my car (seatbelt on of course) so that I could get used to her in different situations.
I was working from the stage, which is different than my usual audience immersion. By the second show, I think that I started to get the hang of it more-I have grown used to having the puppets interact intimately with the kids-shaking hands, coming right near their faces, and I can read the audience's reactions better.
I am super grateful that Jeffrey Friedberg invited me to work with him and the Milk and Cookies theater, raising money for the Rockland Parent Child Center. He's a truly gifted performer and sharing a stage with him and his band members was an honor. What a way to close out 2009! Happy New Year!

No comments: