Friday, November 5, 2010

Preparing for shows




Hi there! I am next to my youngest child, who is curled up on my left shoulder. She woke up just as I was wrapping up a lovely puppet hospital session with the puppets. I am performing at a birthday party tomorrow afternoon,and felt that certain puppets needed some tender loving care before 'going public" again. So, KooKooBird received some GLOW IN THE DARK paint decoration and some new chest hair (a kid innocently ripped that off one day). Parrot, whose plumage melted in the brutal summer heat of 2010, was adorned with some translucent purple tile pieces and a beautiful yellow retro necklace! She looks like a new bird. I can't wait until she gets a look at herself in the mirror (once the glue dries). And then I added some leaves and beads to the MAGIC MIRROR. And yes, they were glittery leaves and luminescent beads!


I wish that I could have been writing earlier before I was so sleepy, because I love this part of the process. It reminds me of when I watch my kids with stuffed animals, and it's not all fantasy, because the children genuinely care about their animals while they are playing with them. They cultivate a relationship as they play-act, just as I truly love and care for my puppets. And I don't feel nuts about this! It's a relationship with an artistic creation that is intended to be brought to life to enchant and entertain young children. I am excited to use these puppets tomorrow because now they have a slightly new dimension to them. I doubt that any of the kids will notice, but I have a more developed sense of the puppet as it moves along this new trajectory. I feel like Parrot will be thrilled about her facelift! Whaddaya think?


No comments: